Week Record (2-0)
Overall Record (42-15)
The break has come and gone and basketball is back. Raptors basketball is back and it picked up where it left off – with winning.
Friday, February 21st, 2020 – Toronto Raptors vs. Phoenix Suns – W (118-101)
17 first quarter points from Pascal Siakam helped put the Suns away early in the Raptors first game back from the All-Star break. Looking a lot more energized, he used a combination of going inside and a variety of three-point shots to dissect the Suns defense. He went five for nine from three, helping him get to 37 points in total. He also added 12 rebounds and three blocks. All of the starters were in double digits, including Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Terence Davis from the bench. The team had season highs in blocks and turnovers; with 13 and 22 respectively.
Sunday, February 23rd, 2020 – Toronto Raptors vs. Indiana Pacers – W (127-81)
This game was over from the first quarter onwards. With seven and a half minutes left the score was 15 to one. By the time the game was over it had turned into the largest margin of victory in franchise history. Despite an uncharacteristic game from Fred VanVleet, everyone at least had gotten at least some points on the board (except for Paul Watson), showing the depth of this team. Kyle Lowry extended his double-double streak with six. Indiana’s 81 total points is the lowest amount scored by an opposing team this season.
Player of the Week – Pascal Siakam
That All-Star break definitely helped Pascal with his game. He looks like a completely different player, one more reminiscent of the player we saw at the beginning of the season. Even with the positives, I just want him to keep this consistency in the playoffs. His length and scoring ability are too valuable to the Raptors.
Key Contributor – Kyle Lowry
Kyle Lowry just keeps on keeping on. That’s all I have. Greatest Raptor ever.
Standout Performance – Matt Thomas’ 17 points in 15 minutes
Putting up a career high in less minutes played is impressive. Even though what most people know about Matt Thomas before he came to the Raptors is he broke the three-point draft workout record of consecutive makes for the team, going five for seven is pretty good.
Best Opposing Player/Performance – Devin Booker (by default)
There was literally no one else deserving for this distinction. All of the Pacers crapped the bed and the Suns don’t have anyone as talented as Devin Booker.
- Patrick McCaw has missed two games with flu-like symptoms
- Marc Gasol will be out for a little longer to help him rest up for the playoffs.
- Nick Nurse won his 100th game as head coach of the Raptors
- Houston signed wings DeMarre Carroll and Jeff Green. Green is on a 10-day to see if he’s comfortable with the team
- Pistons guard Reggie Jackson was bought out by the Detroit Pistons and was signed by the LA Clippers.
- John Beilein stepped down as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers due to past grievances. J.B. Bickerstaff was elevated as head coach.
- James Dolan won the lawsuit against former Knicks forward Charles Oakley.
- Former lottery pick Dragan Bender signed a 10-day deal with the Golden State Warriors.
- The Lakers waived DeMarcus Cousins to sign Markieff Morris, who was bought out by the Detroit Pistons.
- Ben Simmons had an MRI on his back after Philadelphia’s win against Milwaukee.
- Jaren Jackson Jr. has a sprained left knee and will be re-evaluated in two weeks